Applications for our Brooklyn Sales Associate position are now closed but we are still taking applications for a Skate Tech in Brooklyn. Please see the job descriptions below for more info!
Position Description: Five Stride has an immediate opening for a part time Skate Tech position for our Brooklyn retail shop. We are a small staff and everyone puts in shared effort to keep the shop running. This position focuses on mounting plates and other skate repairs, as well as some light retail duties. The position will start with three days per week (15-18 hours) but has the potential to grow with time. Our retail store is not a single task environment. You will find yourself working on multiple tasks and assignments at one time. Weekend shifts are required. Please do not apply if you cannot work weekends.
Starting pay is $17 per hour
Other perks include an employee discount and store credit
- Previous customer service experience, ideally in retail.
- Knowledge of roller skate maintenance.
- Experience and comfort with hand tools and power tools is a must.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
- Excellent people skills, ability to listen, to communicate and to relate to others on a personal level.
- Ability to problem-solve on the fly.
- Able to lift 30 pounds, bend, reach, and lift boxes overhead.
- Weekend availability is a must.
- The primary duty of this position is plate mounting (don’t worry we can teach you how).
- On the fly skate adjustments for customers such as taking wheels on and off, loosening and tightening trucks, adjusting toe stops, and replacing kingpins.
- Communication with customers to find out their skate issues and recommending a potential fix.
- Answer customer queries regarding the shop products; describe a product's features and benefits as needed
- Provide information about warranties, care, and maintenance of purchases
- Demonstrate proper use and adjustment of a customer’s new skates
- Receive and process cash and credit payments
- Process incoming skate repairs and services, estimate time frame and cost of repair
- Stay current with shop products and pricing
- Keep work bench tidy and keep stock of skate parts
- Keep store clean- sweep, mop, dust, clean windows, clean bathroom, etc
- Unpack orders, price merchandise, and update inventory numbers in POS system
Submit a resume and short note outlining why your skills are a good match for this position, and why you are interested in working at Five Stride. Please no phone calls – we are a busy retail store. We welcome your email of interest at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “BK Skate Tech”.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the skaters we serve. We encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, people with disabilities, trans and non-binary folks, and LGBTQ2S people. If you are a member of one of these groups, you are encouraged to self-identify in your cover letter or resume.